Enforcement of Child Support

ShounBach has been serving clients for 45+ years and we have all the resources to handle your divorce, domestic or estate matter.
ShounBach Transparent Logo

When a court enters an order of child support, it orders one party to pay a certain sum of money to another for the support of a child. The person who is ordered to pay is called the obligor. The person who received the payment is the obligee. The amount of child support that is payable is usually based on state law that takes into consideration the number of children for which an obligor is responsible and the amount of income the obligor earns from all sources.

Child Support Enforcement Program

The Child Support Enforcement (CSE) Program is a federal program that coordinates with the states and local governmental entities in locating obligors, their employers, or their assets in order to enforce the support orders. The federal government funds the program, issues policies, ensures compliance with the policies and coordinates efforts with other federal agencies that help support the CSE program. The state and local CSE offices provide day to day operation of the program.


In order to participate in the CSE, a person has to establish that a noncustodial parent has an obligation to support a child. This can be done by establishing paternity, in the case of a child born out of wedlock, and the amount of the obligation. If a child support order has already been entered in a paternity case or a divorce case, a local CSE office will review any documentation that the custodial parent can provide as to the whereabouts of the obligor, his employer, or his assets. When the obligor has been located, the CSE will seek to obtain an order requiring the employer to deduct the amount stated in the child support order, as well as a portion of any accrued arrearages from the obligor’s paycheck. The local CSE office will have the amounts sent to the custodial parent.

If the custodial parent has been receiving public aid, the CSE office may file a petition to recover the support payments on behalf of the government agency that is providing that aid. In such cases, the agency becomes the obligee and can enforce the support orders on its own behalf, to the extent it provides aid.

shounBach Author Picture

Written By ShounBach

Since 1975, ShounBach has served the Northern Virginia community. Our team brings over 200 years of combined legal experience and has grown to be one of Virginia’s largest family and estate law firms.

Don’t Navigate This Process Alone

"*" indicates required fields

ShounBach - white logo
Fairfax Office
(Main Office)

4000 Legato Road, Suite 400
Fairfax, VA 22033

Loudoun Office

107 E. Market Street,
Leesburg, VA 20176

Get In Touch

Phone: 703-222-3333
Fax: 703-222-3340
Contact Us

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Call Now Button