When you need an experienced and committed family law professional, you can turn to attorney Al Bonin for professional, compassionate and effective counsel and representation. For over three decades, Mr. Bonin has been practicing family law and handling difficult cases on behalf of all types of clients. No case is too complex for Mr. Bonin to take on, and he frequently takes cases involving property, custody, parenting time, support and matters across state and international borders.For over two decades, Mr. Bonin has been included in the treatise, The Best Lawyers in America ®, and he is listed as one of theMetropolitan D.C.’s best family law attorneys every year in The Washington Post Magazine and in Super Lawyers®. For years he has received the highest attorney “AV” rating from Martindale-Hubbell, a leading site rating legal professionals. He is also proud to have served as President of the Fairfax Law Foundation. He is also listed as one of the Top Lawyers in Northern Virginia Magazine for child custody matters.
Additionally, Mr. Bonin has been chosen as one of the Ten Leaders in Matrimonial and Divorce Law in Northern Virginia since 2007. ShounBach has had more Ten Leader’s than any law firm in the nation.
Part of what distinguishes Mr. Bonin and the law firm from other firms is that each attorney limits the number of cases they accept. Mr. Bonin understands that an attorney may have many clients, but a client only has one attorney. Therefore, he only takes on a few cases at a time in order to provide a level of service that exceeds the client’s expectations.
Aside from the honors mentioned above, Mr. Bonin has held several positions in local, state and national organizations. He is a Past Chair of the Fairfax Bar Association Circuit Court Committee, Mr. Bonin received the “Chair Award” for outstanding service. He is a past President of the Fairfax Law Foundation, lifetime member of the Colorado Bar Foundation, and a past President of the Virginia Association of Collaborative Professionals.
Mr. Bonin is also proud to be a Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, and he served as a chapter President of this prestigious organization. Additionally, he is also a Fellow of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals and International Academy of Family Lawyers.
Mr. Bonin is licensed to practice in Virginia, Colorado and D.C. In Colorado he was the recipient of the Outstanding Professional of the Year Award on two occasions.
He served as the chair of the Colorado Supreme Court Ethics Committee. He was listed by 5280 magazine as one of Denver’s top lawyers. He was coauthor of the two-volume treatise, Domestic Relations Forms and Practice, by Lexis Law Publications. Mr. Bonin has had the unique privilege of lecturing nationally and internationally on all aspects of family law.
Awards & Recognition
- Listed for over 20 years in “Best Lawyers in America ®.”
- Listed in “Northern Virginia Magazine,” “Washington Post Magazine” and “Super Lawyers®” as one of the DC Metro Areas top family lawyers.
- Listed in “Ten Leaders in Matrimonial Law.” ShounBach has more attorneys listed than any law firm in the nation.
- Lifetime Achievement Award and Professional of the Year Award, 1997 & 2001.
- Formerly listed in “5280” Magazine as one of Denver’s Top Lawyers.
- Virginia Bar Association
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Prince William Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Fairfax Law Foundation
- Virginia Collaborative Professionals
- Fairfax Circuit Court Committee
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Northern Virginia Collaborative Professionals
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Colorado Supreme Court Ethics Committee