International Family Law

International Family Law

There are many families in the D.C. metropolitan area that deal with issues of international family law. Some families have parents who are citizens of other countries, or who reside overseas for work or other reasons. Some married couples acquire property overseas that may ultimately need to be divided between the parties upon separation and/or divorce. Sometimes parents need to file cases in foreign countries to enforce orders such as those requiring payment of support. If your family is affected by issues of international family law, contact a Northern Virginia attorney at ShounBach to see how we can help.


If you have an order directing your spouse, former spouse or the parent of your child to pay support, and you need to enforce that order against the payor overseas, you may need to register that order in a foreign country. Similarly, if there was an order for support issued by a foreign country, you may be able to register it in the United States for enforcement or for modification. If you need assistance with enforcement or modification of an order over international boundaries, call ShounBach to learn more about your rights and the best course of action in your support case.


If your child will be visiting a parent who resides abroad, or if you or your child may be taking up residence in another country, contact ShounBach to learn more about strategies to safeguard your rights and those of your child. We can assist you in understanding the implications that the international move or travel may have on your custody or visitation case.

The attorneys at Shoun Bach can also advise you about enforcement or modification of custody and visitation orders abroad, or about enforcement/modification of foreign orders in the United States.


Concern about parental kidnapping is an issue that can arise in international families. If you have questions about how to protect your child and how best to prevent international parental kidnapping, call and schedule an appointment to talk to a Northern Virginia attorney at ShounBach today.

If you believe that your child has been removed from the United States by his/her parent, it is imperative that you seek legal counsel as soon as possible. Your best course of action can depend on a lot of different factors, including whether your child has been taken to a country that is a signatory to the Hague Convention. We can advise you about your rights and the best course of action to take in order to return your child home.


Property division can be a difficult aspect of any divorce. However, if the property is in a foreign country there can be added complications. The attorneys at ShounBach can advise you of your rights, the procedures for addressing international property issues, and help devise a plan of action for achieving a fair division of assets.


If you have an international family, or if your family has international connections, contact ShounBach to learn about your rights and get advice on your legal options. For the past forty years, we have been providing skilled, compassionate, and knowledgeable legal assistance to individuals throughout Northern Virginia.